Answers about Puppet, DevOps, Automation, Universe and Everything
Tip of the Week 104 - Categorised summary of example42 2018 blog postings
Welcome to 2019!
We close the year with a categorised summary of all postings from 2018 and a rethinking of the purpose of this blog.
After exactly 2 years of weekly posts about Puppet we have decided to quit with the weekly schedule. We will continue to release Puppet Tips here, but not every week.
The ratio between time spent in writing the posts and feedback from readers and the Puppet world has not been positive enough to justify the effort.
We apologise to who has always supported and helped us in spreading these contents (special thanks to Taciano Tres (@tacianot) for the continuous help in this) and we hope we will still be able to provide you useful contents in the future.
Now, let’s see what has been written about in 2018.
As similar post was done for 2017 check it out for a full list of all our “Tips of the Week”.
- PSICK, Control-Repository, Tiny Puppet and example42 Modules
- DevOps,Containers, Strategies
- Puppet Tutorials and Best Practices
- Puppet 6
- Bolt, tasks, plans
- Puppet Code Development and Testing
- Hiera, Razor
- example42 is rewarded as one of the Top10 DevOps consulting companies in Europe
- Puppet Community Award
PSICK, Control-Repository, Tiny Puppet and example42 Modules
- Classification and First Run mode with PSICK
- Running acceptance tests on different Puppet versions with PSICK
- How to use PSICK module for common profiles
- Anatomy of a Puppet control-repo compared to PSICK
- example42 Puppet modules status update
- Update on example42 Puppet modules
- A few steps to Tiny Puppet on the command line
- tp install anything (anywhere),and configure
- Custom applications management using Tiny Puppet
- PSICK profiles, Part 1 - Overview
- PSICK profiles, Part 2 - Setting proxy, server and hostname
- PSICK profiles, Part 3 - Managing OpenSSH
- PSICK profiles, Part 4 - Managing users
- PSICK profiles, Part 5 - Managing /etc/hosts and DNS
- DevOps and the permaent learning pattern
- A wholistic DevOps approach
- Configuration Management and Containers
- The downside of server naming conventions
Puppet Tutorials and Best Practices
- Puppet Control Repo change impact scenarios
- The example42 Puppet cheat sheet
- example42 Puppet Tutorial - Part 1
- example42 Puppet Tutorial - Part 2
- example42 Puppet Tutorial - Part 3
- example42 Puppet Tutorial - Part 4
- Puppet custom data types
- What you need to know about Puppet facts. Part 1 - Core facts
- What you need to know about Puppet facts. Part 2 - Custom facts
- What you need to know about Puppet facts. Part 3 - External facts
- What you need to know about Puppet facts. Part 4 - Trusted facts
- What you need to know about Puppet facts. Part 5 - facter.conf
- Facter fork bombs and timeout - what are they, how to prevent them
- Puppet node classification
- Puppet Library Module synchronization
- Managing packages on MacOSX with Puppet and HomeBrew
- The FIVE things you need to know when starting with Puppet
- Roles and Profiles explained
Bolt, tasks, plans
Puppet Code Development and Testing
- Using catalog diff to check refactoring
- Testing Puppet Enterprise 2018.1
- How to adopt the Puppet Developer Kit (PDK) to your code
example42 wishes everybody a healthy and successful new year.
Martin Alfke, Alessandro Franceschi